SOAR: SSI/SSDI Outreach Access and Recovery Services
What is SOAR?
The SOAR Program is a national program designed to increase access to the disability income benefit programs administered by the Social Security Administration (SSA) for eligible individuals. Eligible individuals include those who are experiencing or at risk of homelessness and have a mental illness, medical impairment and/or a co-occurring substance use disorder.
What programs can SOAR assist me in applying for?
The Social Security Administration (SSA) administers two programs that provide income benefits to those who suffer from disabling conditions that impede their functioning and impact their ability to work.
1. Supplemental Security Income (SSI): Needs-based program for adults or children who are blind, disabled, or elderly with low income/resources.
2. Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI): Program for blind or disabled adults who are insured through employee and employer contributions to the Social Security Trust Fund.
How can SOAR assist me?
· Partnering in the application process
· Assist in collecting, compiling and submitting medical records
· Partnering in writing and submitting a medical summary report
· Obtaining a Co-Signature on the MSR by an Acceptable Medical Source
· Completing a Quality Review of Applications Prior to Submission
Please note, if you have previously received SSI/SSDI, you may be entitled to expedited reinstatement as long as you request an expedited reinstatement within 5 years from the month your benefits stopped.
What to Expect
Please be aware that we are here to support you and partner with you during this process. This will entail regularly scheduled meetings and disclosure of personal health information.